Microbial management assisted farming
Today. Managing the water quality of aquaculture systems occurs through anecdotal evidence, built on outdated techniques such as a visual assessment of color and transparency, agar plating, and sometimes microscopic counts.
Aquaculture systems are teeming with microbial life. Below the surface, the unseen majority of microbial life, ranging between 10 million to 100 million microbial cells in a single milliliter of pond water, is rapidly changing. KYTOS technology brings this activity to light and offers a platform to incorporate microbiome intel into your day-to-day operations.
Every pond is unique. To move beyond the status quo, we must treat every aquaculture system as its own unique ecosystem. Timely and detailed insights into the complex microbial life inhabiting aquaculture systems are key to bring forth radically new microbiome management strategies.
Every aquaculture system is unique and demands bespoke and data-driven management.
Key Performance Indicators for Farmers
Getting a grip on the microbiome during aquaculture farming is challenging. Rigorous biosecurity protocols and the occasional diagnostics test are everyday reality. Unfortunately, once established, diseases prove difficult to fully eradicate. We are firm believers in a preventive, rather than a curative approach.
By routinely screening our fingerprints for deviations in every biome (e.g. algae, bacteria, and more) we can act sooner, and prevent disastrous events. Cyanobacterial blooms, a spontaneous growth event of fastidious bacteria, or a sudden decrease in bacterial diversity, our platform is designed to detect these events. We aim to impact five important pillars in farming operations.
- Water quality. Take advantage of a holistic health assessment of algae and bacteria cells to keep your water quality at pristine conditions.
- Stability. Increased reproducibility of survival through microbiome control. See the effect of your management actions, and adjust accordingly.
- Disease risk. Changes detected by our microbiome health pose an early-warning sign.
- Microbiome health. Move away from the dogma that all bacteria are bad. Instead, let’s define a healthy microbiome fingerprint for your system and strengthen it 24/7.
- Listen to the farmer. We make our technology fit your needs. Need automated email reports? Check. Cloud-based intel platform? Check. Anything else? Let us know!
A smooth, easy-to-follow sampling and reporting process
Safeguarding microbial stability in Recirculating Aquaculture Systems
Recirculating Aquaculture Systems (RAS) are the next frontier in sustainable aquaculture. With efficient water, energy and land use, they promise a fully controlled environment for the fish. Water microbiomes are pervasive in RAS; from the biofilter, to the protein skimmer, to the fish tanks and beyond they perform crucial functions.
We offer RAS farm customers full services to help them assess their microbiological stability, biofilter and disinfection performance, as well as identifying advantageous microbiological treatment effects. For RAS manufacturers we are able to assist in early prototyping and upscaling of new RAS facilities, and to aid in creating RAS with optimal microbiological stability, performance, and control.
Contact us to arrange a call on our microbiology audit and service options.
Our service plans
Full scientific service
Access to the latest algorithms
Integration with process data